Amazon Helps...

Friday, April 17, 2015

My smoky mesquite enchilada sauce.

Slow simmer in the pot...  cooking right now.

I've recently discovered enchiladas. Not eating them, making them. But... this being Canada, it's not always easy to get Mexican components pre-made. Besides, I like making my own stuff up.

This recipe has the bare bones components of virtually every recipe I've come across. Feel free to adjust it as you see fit. Even though I give measured amounts, I play it on the fly. They're just starting points.

You'll need:
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour
can crushed tomatoes
1/2 can of beer
1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. liquid mesquite smoke
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. oregano
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tbsp sea salt 
1/2 tsp chipotle pepper powder (if available)
pepper to taste
approx 1 tsp. hot sauce or taquera sauce, depending on taste

box of chicken stock on hand. ( To thin sauce when needed. Never use water.)

Heat oil in a pot and add flour. Whisk into a light roux. Add tomatoes and all the other spices and let simmer on low for an hour (the longer the better - allows seasonings to meld better.) If the sauce starts to get too thick, add some stock. It adds flavor and gives a usable consistency. 



No comments:

Post a Comment